to the River Tyne before the piers were built was dangerous and
On the north
side there were the Black Middens, a rock platform concealed at high water,
and on the south
In the early
16th Century the Master and Brethren of Trinity House erected lights at
Then later in the year 1727 the first set of guiding lights were erected, the Old High Beacon ( center white tower) was built high up on the bank with a Low Light down on the Fish Quay - now obscured by buildings.
The Old High Light has been restored and is now a private house- the beacon was located on the top.
Due to changes
in the entrance channel new Leading Lights ( Left & Right white towers)
The Low Light
at the eastern end of Low Street operated in conjunction with the High
the River Tyne lined up the two Lights by night or the towers by day