Newburn Pumping Station
station was erected by the Whittle Dene Water Company in 1855 to extract
river water using a pumping engine of c1832 previously used in Newcastle
for the same purpose. This engine was probably a modified Cornish type
by Robert Hawthorn and Company. It was replaced by two "grasshopper"
engines in 1866, although by 1884 these were on used on stand by duties
to supplement the suppy from the Wylam Station.
For many years the building lay derelict but was protected from demolition as a grade II listed building
Lamp Brewery and Keelman Pub
The Big Lamp
Brewery is the oldest 'micro' brewery in the North East of England.
The brewery relocated to the Newburn site in 1996, onto a disused water pumping station site.
In May 1996
the boiler house was disassembled and carefully reconstructed into the
It has a
brewery with a public house 'The Keelman' and six-bedroom accommodation
lodge on the opposite
A very popular stopping point for cyclists riding along the riverbank.
information log onto:-