River Tees - Crossings

Tees Transporter Bridge

The Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge has been a symbol of the area since it was opened in 1911. There are only two other Transporter Bridges still in existence in Britain. These bridges are at Newport (Gwent), opened 1906 and Warrington, opened 1916. The Middlesbrough Transporter is a total of 851 feet (259.3 metres) in length which makes it the longest of those remaining in the world. Its cantilever construction has three main bridge spans that give it its unique appearance. The bridge is, effectively, two almost independent structures joined at the center of the River Tees.

Each half of the bridge has an 'anchor' span of 140 feet (42.6 metres) and then cantilevers across the river some 285 feet (86.8 metres) from the tower leg to meet its twin from the opposite bank. The passenger gondola is suspended by steel cables and runs on a wheel and rail system approximately 160 feet (48.7 metres) above the River Tees.




Newport Bridge

Constructed by Dorman Long & Co in 1934 it was the first vertical lift bridge in England and the biggest of its kind.

It has a lift span of 270 ft. and is 66 ft. wide which weighs 1530 tons but when in use could lift in 45 secs.

Today the bridge is no longer in use and is
permanently fixed in position.

NCN 1 runs along the right river bank - as seen on
the photo - and under the south side of this bridge.


Tees Viaduct A19(T) Road

A modern multi span road viaduct crossing the River Tees at high level, it has 6 lanes and was constructed with steel plate girders with a composite deck.

The bridge was opened to traffic in 1975.

NCN 1 passes under this bridge along the south bank of the River Tees.


A19(T) Tees Viaduct looking up river


View from downstream - tidal side


View from upstream side

Tees Barrage

The barrage is designed to keep the water level upstream at a constant level - roughly equivalent to high spring tides.

It consists of movable gates with a navigation lock, a fish pass and white water canoe slalom course and has a road running over the top.

The 160m long main (road) bridge has eight 17.5m spans.

At each end of the four river spans, the road crosses the roof of the barrage pavilion and then an approach bridge with two identical 17.5m spans.

The arches are constructed from welded tubular steel and have a rise of 5m, which gives a clearance to the navigation channel and service roads.

NCN 1 runs across the Barrage on the low level foot / cycle bridge as seen in the photo.




© Doug-on-the-Tyne - 2004