Wearmouth Road Bridge
Opened in 1928 to replace the Iron Bridge.
A 3-pinned arch bridge with two parabolic ribs
with masonry faced concrete abutments it has a span
of 375 ft. with a clearance of 90 ft. above high water.
Designed by Mott Hay and Anderson and
constructed by Sir Wm. Arrol and Co. Ltd.
The original cast iron bridge by Rowland Burdon
was erected in 1796 and later vastly modified by
Robert Stephenson in 1858 when it was widened and
the pronounced hump of the original removed.
While it survived it was the largest cast iron bridge
in the world. Parts of the balustrade on today's
bridge came from the original bridge.
Today's bridge carries five lanes of traffic with
foot / cycleways each side and recently was
extensively renovated and repainted.
NCN 7 passes under this bridge on the north bank
and NCN 1 over the bridge