Dating originally from the 12th century, reconstructed in 1228 but much repaired and altered since.
It is now pedestrians only
In the 13th century two chapels were built at each
end of the bridge. The chapel to the west was
replaced by the House of Correction, parts of
whichcan still be seen today, as can parts of
St. Andrew’s Chapel at the eastern end.
Of the fourteen arches that originally existed three
were destroyed by flooding in 1771.
The bridge width was doubled in the early 1800s.